Call cost changes this summer - what you need to know
From July 1st, big changes will come into effect for those calling service numbers. In the biggest shake up of the telephone industry in over a decade, UK Calling will ensure that:
- Calls to 0800 and 0808 numbers will be free from mobiles as well as landlines
- Charges to calls for service numbers such as 084,087,09 and 118 will have to be made clearer, and displayed in a new two part format.
- The format will consist of an Access Charge and a Service Charge
- The 'Access Charge' is made by your network provider and starts at a minimum of one minute
- The 'Service Charge' is determined by the company or service you call.
Most businesses and services are moving away from using chargeable service numbers; in favour of 03 numbers that are included in most contract allowances. However, for those that have not yet made the switch, it is always worth checking for an alternative on PleasePress1.com first. We list freephone or inclusive numbers wherever possible.
If you are a business or service provider and are concerned about the numbers you currently use, our friends at soh.co.uk have compiled a useful guide to the changes here.
What do you make of the changes? Are they a step in the right directon, or is it a case of 'too little, too late'? Have your say in the comments below.